This week, Monday Madness returns with a look at those TV characters who buck the 18-49 demographic trend and prove that interesting characters make for great TV, no matter their age!
One important note: this poll does not include characters who have lived for many decades (or even centuries), but through supernatural means still look and act like 20somethings. So no vampires, Alphas who never age, or characters frozen in time for 28 years, unless they were 50+ beforehand. I tried to find actual ages for characters closer to the cut-off point, but when in doubt, I went by the portraying actor’s age when the show came out. And for long-running shows, some characters may have been under 50 at the beginning, but aren’t now.
This poll will be open for one week, and you can choose up to 10 of your favorite TV characters over 50. Be sure to spread the word so your favorites will make it into the top 10! Fans have used Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, forums, Reddit, blogs, and chatboxes to get the word out about past polls. Get creative!
Important: I know there are dozens of TV characters over 50 who are missing from this list. You can nominate characters I missed in the comments until Thursday night, and I may add them to the poll (characters from live-action scripted shows only, please, and the character must be a main cast member or appear in at least 10 episodes of the show).
Want more of a say in who makes it onto the poll each week? Be sure to follow me on Twitter or like TV Breakroom on Facebook, since I usually ask for nominations for the next Monday Madness the weekend before the new poll. Please help out with nominations! There are only so many shows I can watch personally, so I’m counting on you to fill me in!
Without further ado, here’s the poll for this week’s Monday Madness! Voting ends around 1AM October 23rd.
Who is your favorite TV character over 50? (Choose up to 10!)
- Bobby Singer - Supernatural (20%, 183 Votes)
- Gibbs - NCIS (11%, 98 Votes)
- Ducky - NCIS (10%, 95 Votes)
- Henry Spencer - Psych (6%, 53 Votes)
- Rumpelstiltskin - Once Upon a Time (5%, 50 Votes)
- Walter Bishop - Fringe (5%, 45 Votes)
- Hetty Lange - NCIS: Los Angeles (5%, 43 Votes)
- Martha - Castle (5%, 43 Votes)
- Shepherd Book - Firefly (4%, 41 Votes)
- Madeline Westen - Burn Notice (4%, 39 Votes)
- Artie - Warehouse 13 (4%, 38 Votes)
- Cliff Huxtable - The Cosby Show (4%, 34 Votes)
- Clair Huxtable - The Cosby Show (3%, 30 Votes)
- Jay Pritchett - Modern Family (3%, 24 Votes)
- Dr. Lee Rosen - Alphas (2%, 21 Votes)
- Gaius - Merlin (2%, 18 Votes)
- Uther Pendragaon - Merlin (2%, 18 Votes)
- Earl - 2 Broke Girls (2%, 14 Votes)
- Frank Reagan - Blue Bloods (2%, 14 Votes)
- Pierce Hawthorne - Community (1%, 13 Votes)
- Creed - The Office (1%, 8 Votes)
- Violet Crawley - Downton Abbey (1%, 8 Votes)
- Sheriff of Nottingham - Robin Hood (0%, 3 Votes)
- Jack McCoy - Law & Order (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 290